Deadline February 28th
The Vermont-NEA Human and Civil Rights Committee announces the annual Vermont-NEA Human and Civil Rights Awards each year at the Vermont-NEA Representative Assembly in the early spring. The award looks to recognize and advance the work of Vermonters or Vermont organizations advancing human and civil rights. Vermont-NEA offers a cash prize to award winners and may nominate them for consideration for a NEA Humand and Civil Rights Award later in the year. The 2018 deadline is February 28th. All nominations must be submitted on-line and nominations may only be submitted by current Vermont-NEA members.
These are the three categories in which an award may be given:
- Individuals, schools, local affiliates or Vermont organizations working in the area of human and civil rights that have a community-wide impact;
- A Vermont-NEA member whose professional activities have protected and/or enhanced. human and civil rights that have a community-wide impact, especially related to student empowerment;
- A K-12 student or youth group (under 22) whose activities have served to enhance students’ sense of worth and dignity.
Vermont-NEA will accept nominations without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin and will present the awards to the nominees selected by the Human and Civil Rights Committee and approved by the Board of Directors.
a) Individuals, schools, local affiliates, or Vermont organizations working in the area of human and civil rights that have a community-wide impact.
b) If nominee is an individual who works in a K-12 school and is eligible for membership, the person must be a Vermont-NEA member.
c) Nominees may not be Association staff.
d) Vermont-NEA accepts nominations without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
e) Vermont-NEA reserves the right to present no award or to select a nominee other than the person or organization nominated for an award.
f) Vermont-NEA presents awards to nominees as selected by the Vermont-NEA Human/Civil Rights Committee and approved by the Vermont-NEA Executive Committee.
Nominators Requirements and Information:
1. Must be a Vermont-NEA member.
2. Must make nominations under a specific award category.
3. Must submit completed nomination through the online form by the deadline.
4. The 2018 deadline is February 28, 2018. For more information call 802-223-6375.
Past Vermont-NEA Human and Civil Rights Award Winners
Muslim Girls Making Change (2017)
Migrant Justice (2017 NEA winner and 2015 Vermont-NEA winner)
Reading to End Racism (2016)
Steve Tatus, member, Orleans Central Education Asscoaition (2017)
Jeryl Julian-Cisse, member, Windham Central Education Association (2016)