Our contract (14.6) states that because we all “recognize the value of collaborative discussion” we, teachers, board members, and administrators, agree to meet regularly on an informal basis. We call this the No-Name group.
July 20 meeting. How will CNSU carry out a RIF, or Reduction in Force?
This was the main topic of ths informal meeting with the Superintendent and various board members. In a desire to be fair to folks who might lose their jobs, the administration proposes to clarify the RIF process. They want to do this by identifying a Seniority category rather than an endorsement. For the most part these categories mirror the endorsements. We would have an appendix to our contract with a list of “Seniority Categories.”
The next "No Name Group" meeting will be 8/22. On the docket are discussions on the job of a nurse vs. that of a teacher, the contract language involving voluntary transfers, and possible extra compensation for standards board members & mentors.
August 22 Meeting
Discussed: 1. Seniority Categories. A person's seniority category will be listed on their contract
2. The job of a nurse vs. the job of a teacher. Basically it was agreed that a teacher should not be expected to do the duties of a nurse. (ex: administering medications) We will have more discussion on this next time and draft some language for the contract to this effect.
3. Re: the job of a nurse. If a school nurse is overwhelmed with duties and asked to do more, the nurse needs to "get real with her administrator" in the words of one Board member. In other words, go to your principal, and check the policy. If he/she is not satisfied, she should see the superintendent.
4. CNSU mentoring program. Titles money supports this program. Teacher mentors receive stipends.
By the next meeting, hopefully we will have an MOU regarding the Seniority categories. And I will try to post a list of the categories on this website. Nancy
Please let us know if there are any burning concerns/ issues that you feel could be discussed at these No Name meetings!
Sept. 19, 2011 meeting
1. Discussed the possibility of MA+30 to our salary schedule and to get rid of BA +60. Discussed changing the contract language to mean that credits can only be used once for any column movement.
2. Discussed 5.4. What does a "transition day" mean? We discussed the transition of students to the next grade level and all that that requires: team planning, meeting the needs of students. One board member suggested that the blood born pathogens training be postponed until later in the year.
3. Discussed all the varied items/ topics which need to be covered and planned at the beginning of a school year: "blood born pathogens" training: must it occur on one of those first days?
4. Discussed 8.1 of the para contract. Support staff are not evaluated in the same way as teachers. Their evaluation plan should reflect this. Discussed a possible M.O.U. (Memorandum of Understanding) to address evaluation so that it does not require an scheduled observation.